Back pain affects one in six individuals, and during your lifetime, there’s a good chance you will have an episode of low back pain requiring some form of medical treatment. To successfully manage back pain, your physician must first accurately locate the source of your pain—that’s where our experienced spine specialist can help.
The back is a complex structure of bones and tissues covering the body’s trunk from the neck to the pelvis. Vertebral bones are stacked on top of one another creating the spinal column. In the spaces between the vertebrae, spongy pads of cartilage called intervertebral discs allow for flexibility and act like shock absorbers during body movement. The spinal column supports the upper body’s weight and houses and protects the spinal cord, a delicate nervous system structure that carries nerve signals for body movement and conveys sensations. Any one of these structures can become injured or your back pain can be caused by a condition or disease such as arthritis. To learn what is causing your pain, come see a board-certified spine specialist at Hughston.
Hughston doctors find the source of back pain by examining you, taking a thorough medical history, and by analyzing diagnostic images. Often, your back pain can be treated without surgery; however, patients with severe injuries or illness may require an operation. Here are some of the procedures our spine physicians specialize in:
- Disc Replacement – inserting new discs to cushion bones
- Disectomy – removing herniated disc material
- Epidural steroid injections
- Foraminotomy – removing bone to widen vertebral space for nerve roots to exit the spine
- Kyphoplasty – repairing vertebral fractures
- Laminectomy – removing bone spurs or ligaments
- Orthotics, bracing and prosthetic devices
- Regenerative medicine
- Spinal fusion – fusing vertebrae
- Therapeutic exercise and rehabilitation
If you have back pain, you are not alone. Back pain is one of the most common ailments treated in the United States. Call today for an appointment with Hughston’s experienced orthopaedic spine specialists.